Thursday, January 8, 2009

Jan 2nd - Acapulco

Our first port was in Acapulco, which is a big city and was very busy because of the holiday. We hired a very nice driver named Roberto to taxi us around all day. We went to a beach first. It was very crowded and there were TONS of people trying to sell you all sorts of garbage! (Massages, bags, hats, food, jewelry, shirts, I could go on!) The beach was very steep and got deep quickly - it made for some good sized waves. My loving father-in-law pushed me into the ocean not long after getting there and I had sand everywhere, it was very uncomfortable!


We went back to the ship and all took showers then Mike, Steve T., Mollie, Melissa, Kathie, and I went to see the Acapulco cliff divers. Years and years ago after the fishermen of the city were done fishing for the day they would go to these cliffs and dive off them...people would go and watch them and in the 1930s it became an official job and tourist site of the city. They climb up the cliffs and jump off into the water - from the very top it's 105 feet! They were pretty amazing to watch.

Mike insisted that I get a picture with one of the divers!


Me, Kathie, Melissa, Mollie, and Steve waiting for the show

After the show we asked Roberto if he could take us to a good (but most importantly clean) restaurant for some authentic Mexican food. He took us to a place that was inside a little department store and there we had the most delicious chicken enchiladas I've ever tasted! They were in some sort of amazing green sauce - yummy. It was a great way to end the day (and even better the next day since none of us got sick)!

Us and Roberto waiting for our food.


The last thing I have to say about this day is: GO UTES!!!


1 comment:

Alisa said...

Oh how fun! And wow do you make that cliffdiver look tan ;)

About Me

My photo
I grew up in good ol' Salt Lake City, UT. Mike and I got married in May 2003, and we've loved every minute of married life! I graduated from the U of U in May 2007 with my Master's Degree in Speech-Language Pathology and am working as an SLP for Granite School District at an elementary school in Kearns. We have a darling son, Jacob, who we love and can't imagine life without!